Re: Linked Data Dogfood circa. 2013

On 1/6/13 1:01 PM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> On 6 Jan 2013, at 17:26, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
>   wrote:
>
>> On 1/5/13 6:45 PM, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>> BTW -- the killer application of the Web is the Hyperlink. That will remain so forever. Over time it will simply be used expose many more dimensions of Web exploitation.
> Actually it's the global identifier.

Actually, the Hyperlink as a global identifier that can denote anything :-)

> I think it is misleading to talk about the hyperlinks as being the crucial technology - as you say later, it is the names that are important.

The Names are most useful when they resolve to descriptions of their
Referents.

> You can have the identifiers without the hyperlinks, but if you talk about hyperlinks people think about where the link is from, which isn't the important bit.

The important bit lies in the Name and Address duality which enables
powerful indirection via explicit or implicit redirection . This feature
works wonders for:

1. data representation
2. data access & connectivity
3. data integration
4. data dissemination
5. data management.

>>> On the web it is indeed often sufficient to
>>> create a web site even a crappy one and you get immediate benefits.
>>> Given there are benefits people do it, period.
>>>
>>> IMO a client is missing. or a set of clients, that will do useful
>>> things for non fictional - important enough share of people.
>> No, we already have clients and consumers such as: Web browsers, legacy desktop applications, new mobile applications, and existing services that can all tap in to the data representation, access, integration, and dissemination frontiers that constitute the Web's data space dimension.
> I think you need to substantiate your statement (that the project is already success) by providing a significant list of such real applications that use published Linked Data that they didn't create themselves.

DBpedia, LOD Cloud, the full embrace of Linked Data principles across
the EU, US, UK, Italian, Spanish, Greek, Portuguese and many others
governments is healthy enough. That's just for starters.

Publishing Linked Data is a resounding success, its has already long
past the point of critical mass.
> And please remember that this is the LOD list, so they should be consuming RDF from elsewhere by using resolvable URIs.

Yes, as my claims stand.

> (I find it hard to do so - the only real stuff I know of that isn't from Giovanni or I is in the Life Science world, as David rightly points out.)

Wow, so we clearly see the world differently. The items I listed above
clearly don't count in your world view, for whatever reasons.

> In my mind this discussion is not directly about whether the LOD project is a success or failure - it is about where the valuable resources of some very bright people should be deployed.

People should participate in those aspects of the Linked Data ecosystem
that best suite their skills and interests. Linked Data isn't a
monolithic realm.

> And some of us would say that encouraging them to put their efforts into the publishing end is not the optimal strategy.

See my comment above. As I've said in the past, this realm is "horse for
courses" compliant, and (IMHO) that's its ultimate strength.

Kingsley