Re: annotations and RDF

From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:43:18 -0500
To: Dr David Shotton <david.shotton@zoo.ox.ac.uk>
Cc: Paolo Ciccarese <paolo.ciccarese@gmail.com>, Herbert van de Sompel <hvdsomp@gmail.com>, Matteo Casu <mattecasu@gmail.com>, public-lod@w3.org, semantic-web@w3.org, Silvio Peroni <essepuntato@cs.unibo.it>, public-openannotation <public-openannotation@w3.org>
Hi David,

(And cc'ing the Open Annotation list as well)

Yes that looks fine.  If the annotation is about the citation, rather
than the paper, then it should definitely target a resource that
identifies the citation.  I don't want to comment on the use of Named
Graphs (see [2]) for the citation, that's your field :), but the
annotation modeling looks okay other than the use of dc:description
(see [1]).

The minimally different Open Annotation version would be:

_:anno1 a oa:Annotation ;
  oa:hasBody _:commentOnCitation ;
  oa:hasTarget <uri-for-citation-resource> ;
  oa:motivatedBy oa:commenting .

_:commentOnCitation a cnt:ContentAsText ;
  cnt:chars "I'm citing that paper because it initiated this whole
field of research" .

A multi-class solution to reuse your fabio:Comment class might be:

_:commentOnCitation a cnt:ContentAsText, fabio:Comment ;
  cnt:chars "..." ;
  dc:description "..." .

The relevant parts of the spec are:
[1] http://openannotation.org/spec/core/core.html#BodyEmbed