Re: Content negotiation for Turtle files

On 2/5/13 6:49 PM, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Back in 2006, I thought had understood with the help of folks around
> here, how to configure my server for content negotiation at
> lingvoj.org <http://lingvoj.org>.
> Both vocabulary and instances were published in RDF/XML.
>
> I updated the ontology last week, and since after years of happy
> living with RDF/XML people eventually convinced that it was a bad,
> prehistoric and ugly syntax, I decided to be trendy and published the
> new version in Turtle at http://www.lingvoj.org/ontology_v2.0.ttl
>
> The vocabulary URI is still the same :
> http://www.lingvoj.org/ontology, and the namespace
> http://www.lingvoj.org/ontology# (cool URI don't change)
>
> Then I turned to Vapour to test this new publication, and found out
> that to be happy with the vocabulary URI it has to find some answer
> when requesting application/rdf+xml. But since I have no more RDF/XML
> file for this version, what should I do?
> I turned to best practices document at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub, but it does not provide examples
> with Turtle, only RDF/XML.
>
> So I blindly put the following in the .htaccess : AddType
> application/rdf+xml .ttl
> I found it a completely stupid and dirty trick ... but amazigly it
> makes Vapour happy.
>
> But now Firefox chokes on http://www.lingvoj.org/ontology_v2.0.ttl
> because it seems to expect a XML file. Chrome has not this issue.
> The LOV-Bot says there is a content negotiation issue and can't get
> the file. So does Parrot.
>
> I feel dumb, but I'm certainly not the only one, I've stumbled upon a
> certain number of vocabularies published in Turtle for which the
> conneg does not seem to be perfectly clear either.
>
> What do I miss, folks? Should I forget about it, and switch back to
> good ol' RDF/XML?

Hoping you see the contradiction re. content-type:

curl -IL http://www.lingvoj.org/ontology
HTTP/1.1 303 See Other
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 00:54:13 GMT
Server: Apache
Location: http://www.lingvoj.org/ontology_v2.0.ttl

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 00:54:13 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 19:16:02 GMT
ETag: "60172428-5258-4d4ae92f95333"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Kingsley

> Bernard