Re: "DOM" for RDF?

On 02 Dec 2013, at 15:22 , Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/12/2013 11:10, Karl Dubost wrote:
>> Le 2 déc. 2013 à 06:00, Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk>
>>  a écrit :
>>
>>> By this, I mean "an application programming interface (API) for [RDF graphs]", which will be "a standard programming interface that can be used in a wide variety of environments and applications.
>>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-api/
> Why did it die?

Lack of interest:-( There were no real uptake in the idea neither by users nor by implementers. It really was heading for a paper-only specification. It seems that this direction was not what the community wanted at large.

One possible reason may be what Tim said: an abstract, language-independent interface may not fly, and one would have to define an interface in Python, Javascript, C, C++, Scala, Java, ... Personally, I know Python the best, and the DOM analogy is indeed significant: although DOM based interfaces to XML in Python still exist (and the minidom is still part of the standard distribution), it seems that more Python-like interfaces like ElementTree are closer to what developers want. (Having used both minidom and ElementTree I have sympathy with that, actually.)

Ivan

> Richard
>>

> --
> Richard Light