Re: Open Data Rights Statements

Hi,

Yes, I'm aware of L4LOD. It's essentially the same as LIMO, ccREL and,
to a lesser extent, ODRL. All of these attempt to provide terms for
describing the key facets of licenses. The benefit of ccREL is that
all of the CC licences are already described using those terms so the
machine-readable metadata exists.

Thanks for the pointer to the paper.

However from a quick skim I must admit to being confused by their Real
World example in Section 3.6. While the logic might be correct in the
derivation of the combined licence, its not a great example because:

* You can't create a new derived dataset using data published under a
no-derivatives licence -- so the scenario isn't allowed
* The legal terms of the ODbL licence indicate that any derivatives
that are shared publicly must be done so under the ODbL or a
compatible licence designated by the publisher -- the derived licence
is neither

So while there may be some value in being able to automatically create
summaries of the combined obligations/permissions of licences, I think
this is at most useful for helping understand your obligations, not
the creation of new downstream licences. Partly because it glosses
over important legal points in the terms, and partly because the
community is not best served by a proliferation of licences.
Convergence creates simplicity.

Cheers,

L.

--