Re: WebID Frustration

Hello Norman,
Yes, now I have it installed I like it for the same reasons that you do.
And yes, there are very few people (I guess), who would want to do it by hand.
But actually I didn't; what I wanted was a WebID that didn't create an account somewhere (most of the sites I found offer an account that comes with a WebID as a side-effect).
I think people are rather careful about where they put these things - what will the personal information be over there?; will the site exist long enough?…
I looked a quite a few sites before choosing where my OpenID would be.
But I would have much preferred to have it on my home domain (and others on my work domains?).
Which is what this great WebID offers.

Actually, this whole thing seems to me (I now realise) nothing to do with WedID per se.
It is about creating and editing FOAF files.
You wouldn't want to do what I wanted unless you had a FOAF file (or were creating one.
And that is still a real problem.
http://wiki.foaf-project.org/w/FAQ#How_do_I_create_my_first_FOAF_document.3F
tells me http://www.ldodds.com/foaf/foaf-a-matic and http://www.formsplayer.com/demo/foaf/foaf-creator.html
The first of those is pretty old, and rather dodgy, as I recall, and the second doesn't respond.

Pretty sad really.
Anyone up for read/write creation/editing of FOAF files, including WebID and all the latest goodness?
Or maybe such a thing exists, and I don't know?
Surely we can manage that for what is after all one of the great success of the SemWeb?

Best
Hugh