Re: Publication of scientific research

On 04/24/2013 05:37 PM, Andrea Splendiani wrote:
> There two main issues in moving beyond pdf.
>
> One, probably minor, is that there are larger constraints. Some
> people need their work to be somewhere "understood" by their
> organization. This is a bit less relevant for conferences than for
> journals, but still an issue.
>
> The other is that some bit of a research paper can lend to
> formalization. But there is a lot of variability. In some case you
> are closer to what web languages can represent. E.g.: a finding in
> RDF, some algorithm shown in JavaScript,... But what is somebody is
> publishing a description of an information systems ? It may get so
> far from a standard way to talk about think that you won't gain much
> with a structured representation.
>
> pdf + other technologies, when it applies, could be a good idea,
> though.

I can't quite make out the core of the issues that you are trying to
describe. So, from I understand:

We could maybe at least give this HTML thing a try. And, later worry
about semantic alignments?

IMHO, there is no compelling reason to research and try PDF + other
technologies, when we have HTML+RDF + other technologies already in
place and staring right at us.

-Sarven