Re: Fwd: Re: Public SPARQL endpoints:managing (mis)-use and communicating limits to users.

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Kingsley Idehen
<kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> If you have OFFSET and LIMIT in use, you can reflect the new state of
> affairs when the next GET is performed i.e, lets say you have OFFSET 20 and
> LIMIT 20, the URL with OFFSET 40 is the request for the next batch of
> results from the solution and the one that would reflect the new state of
> affairs.

This requires the client to page from the outset. Ideally there would
be a way for a server to force paging where it needed to. At the
moment though there's no way for a server to indicate that its done
that, e.g. by including a "next page" link in the results.

This also moves us towards a more hypermedia approach where clients
don't need to construct URIs: the server provides them.

The community could decide on some extension elements/keys that could
be used in SPARQL XML/JSON results formats to achieve this. If the
link element in the existing format were a little more flexible [1]
then this option would be available. We could still use the atom link
element as an extension though with existing rel values (which
addresses other use cases).

[1]. http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:Query_response_linking

--
Leigh Dodds