Re: It is bad practice to consume Linked Data and not publish Linked Data

On 4/4/13 7:25 AM, Harry Halpin wrote:

> These are all about visualization. I'm not sure if that's a real
> problem with a concrete Web App. Linked Data visualization is only a
> problem if you first believe Linked Data is the solution to your
> problem. I'm looking for apps where Linked Data provides a concrete
> benefit over, say, just using SQL or attribute-value pairs on the
> backend.
>
> It would be great if a list of these Linked Data (AJAR I remember
> TimBL saying) were kept on a wiki page somewhere!

I've asked everyone (repeatedly) to publish Turtle docs describing their
Linked Data products. Until we do this your quest will be challenging at
best for a variety of reasons:

1. product discovery
2. product classification.

To your point about basic EAV vs RDF based Linked Data EAV, the
differences are quite stark. Here's was RDF based Linked Data brings to
the table:

1. Web resources comprised of RDF based description graphs endowed with
explicit machine- and human-comprehensible entity relationship semantics

2. Super Keys -- actually the first time in the history of the computing
industry where you actually have Super Keys that resolve to descriptors
(structured description data) across file, DBMS, and host Operating
System boundaries.

The only thing we continue to struggle with is an obvious dogfood
exercise where everyone instinctively describes their products,
services, and associated offers via turtle documents :-)

Come on everyone !! The steps are as follows;

1. Create a file.
2. Add RDF model base content -- Turtle is easiest, but of course you
should use the notation syntax that works best for you across the many
associated with RDF.
3. Publish to a Web accessible location.
4. Announce via the many social media outlets.
5. Leave crawlers to do their thing.

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com