Re: Hosting linked data with an apache web server

On 9/25/12 6:44 PM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> Hi.
> I would have thought that what you are asking should be easy, and actually is - no need for all that 303 stuff, certainly.
> Just use Solution 1 to generate the rdf files, but give them the same name as the URI, and put them in a directory (or whatever directory structure you want).
> Certainly if it is all you can manage, then we (the community) should encourage you to do so.
> If you do that, Apache will simply deliver the file with a 200, with your RDF in. Most consumers will handle this quite well. It isn't the recommended way of publishing Linked Data, but there are quite a few sites that do it, and any consumer would be well-advised to accept it.
> The alternative that does fit the recommendation is to use "hash"es (see Tim's original documenthttp://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html  for a description, although there are many more since).
+1 . A very important point.

I would simply add (for sake of ultra qualification), use the RDF
documents URL as its URI.
Use hash URIs to denote the subjects described by the RDF document. Most
of the time "#{your-preferred-local-identifier}" tacked on to the RDF
documents URL will suffice.

And a little addition to all of this, add triples that associate
subjects with their host RDF document. Predicates that are useful in
this context include: foaf:primaryTopic, foaf:topic, and wdrs:describedby .

Follow these guidelines and your RDF resources will be follow-your-nose
friendly etc..

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com