LOD Provider Survey 2012 & the effectiveness of the Web of Data

From: Dominic Oldman <DOLDMAN@thebritishmuseum.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:18:22 +0100
To: <public-lod@w3.org>

Clicking through to the conference website given by Markus Luczak-Rösch

 http://granvia.dia.fi.upm.es/oedw2012/

the conference subject is,

"Is the current data-driven world going to kill ontologies? Are we navigating towards a shallow Web of Data?"

This is becoming an increasingly important question as the LOD cloud grows and I have a
 personal view (indirectly) at

http://www.oldman.me.uk/blog/the-british-museum-cidoc-crm-and-the-shaping-of-knowledge/ <http://www.oldman.me.uk/blog/the-british-museum-cidoc-crm-and-the-shaping-of-knowledge/http:/>

But there are others issues related to the question of how effective the web of data and networks of knowledge might be (with or without intelligent ontologies). On this I thought I might post a couple of URLs that may be of interest. The first is the text of a lecture given in 1993 by the late Robin Alston <http://digitalriffs.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/robin-alstons-library-history-database.html>  called the "Battle of the Books" and the second a lecture by Jürgen Renn, Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, called "Towards a Web of culture and science".

http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Archives/Virginia/v07/0175.html

http://iospress.metapress.com/content/ct0hvjwd5g0nftq3/fulltext.pdf <http://iospress.metapress.com/content/ct0hvjwd5g0nftq3/fulltext.pdfhttp:/>