Re: Google Knowledge Graph Experiment

On 5/18/12 2:12 PM, Juan Sequeda wrote:
> It finally works for me.
>
> First thing I tried was "Paris Hilton" and "Hilton Paris", which is
> always the simple of example of lack of semantics on the web that I
> tell people like my mom.
>
> Actually, I'm disappointed with what I got.
> https://twitter.com/#!/juansequeda/status/203548313318985729
> <https://twitter.com/#%21/juansequeda/status/203548313318985729>

Yep! 'Paris Hilton' is the acid test! In addition, you have 'Paris',
'New York', and 'Micheal Jackson' . Even funnier, just type in 'Michael'
and you'll see this is 100% antithetical to what the Web's evoution is
supposed to be about.

Kingsley

> [...]
>>         more on /that/ perspective, you may wish to see Sean
>>         Golliher's editorial which will be published at
>>         SemanticWeb.com <http://SemanticWeb.com> at the top of the
>>         next hour (2:00pm ET in the US).
>>
>>         Cheers,
>>         --Eric
>>

>>         On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org
>>         <mailto:ivan@w3.org>> wrote:
>>
>>             Well... I tried this trick, but does not change a thing.
>>             Yes, the search happens on www.google.com
>>             <http://www.google.com/>, but I presume it knows that I
>>             am, hm, considered as Dutch and sticks to its guns: I see
>>             nothing of the GKG on my screen.
>>
>>             Ivan
>>
>>             On May 18, 2012, at 17:57 , Aidan Hogan wrote:
>>
>>             > All,
>>             >
>>             > On 18/05/2012 05:51, Eric Franzon wrote:
>>             >> Actually, some modest testing has shown something
>>             other than geography at play here. Earlier today,
>>             colleagues in London and California were able to see GKG
>>             rich data visualizations, while others in the US (myself
>>             included -- also in California) and Europe could not.
>>             >>
>>             >> I spoke to a Google representative this afternoon who
>>             confirmed the gradual roll-out, but would not (or could
>>             not) discuss the algorithm. He did hint that people with
>>             Google accounts will be first to see the enhancements.
>>             >
>>             > In my experience, the most reliable way to see GKG in
>>             action is:
>>             >
>>             > Visit http://google.com/ncr
>>             > (the "/ncr" suffix stops you redirecting to a local
>>             version)
>>             >
>>             > Be logged in with a Google account.
>>             >
>>             > Try a typical entity search (e.g., "Galway").
>>             >
>>             > Cheers,
>>             > Aidan
>>

>>             ----
>>             Ivan Herman, W3C Semantic Web Activity Lead
>>             Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
>>             mobile: +31-641044153 <tel:%2B31-641044153>
>>             FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf
>>

>>         --
>>         *Eric Axel Franzon*
>>         Vice President of Community
>>         SemanticWeb.com <http://SemanticWeb.com>
>>         6080 Center Dr., 6th Floor
>>         Los Angeles, CA 90045
>>
>>         eric@semanticweb.com <mailto:eric@semanticweb.com>
>>         O: +1.323.856.1474 <tel:%2B1.323.856.1474>
>>         C: +1.323.309.1601 <tel:%2B1.323.309.1601>
>>
>>         LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/ericfranzon
>>         Twitter: http://twitter.com/SemanticWeb
>>

>>     --
>>     *Eric Axel Franzon*
>>     Vice President of Community
>>     SemanticWeb.com <http://SemanticWeb.com>
>>     6080 Center Dr., 6th Floor
>>     Los Angeles, CA 90045
>>
>>     eric@semanticweb.com <mailto:eric@semanticweb.com>
>>     O: +1.323.856.1474 <tel:%2B1.323.856.1474>
>>     C: +1.323.309.1601 <tel:%2B1.323.309.1601>

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen