Re: Introducing the Knowledge Graph: things, not strings

From: David Wood <david@3roundstones.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 11:56:52 -0400
Cc: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>, public-lod community <public-lod@w3.org>
To: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Hi Steve,

On May 17, 2012, at 11:18, Steve Harris wrote:

> On 2012-05-16, at 23:09, David Wood wrote:
>> Still, Kingsley is right, too.  We are certainly busier than we have ever been, with no clear end in sight.  That's positive.
>
> It would feel much more positive if I thought we were trying to solve the right problems. It would be much easier to know if I knew what the right problems where though.

The problems we are solving for our customers are:
- Data sharing (sometimes for its own sake, such as governmental transparency) that avoids proprietary formats/licenses/products.
- Enterprise application creation (using Linked Data to abstract away from proprietary storage technologies).
- Enterprise application integration (using Linked Data to share application state).

Those constitute the "right" problems for us because they address defined needs.

Regards,
Dave
--
David Wood, Ph.D.