Re: Introducing the Knowledge Graph: things, not strings

... To put it in a longer way.

Yes this is great news, although it's not completely news, we had quite a
few hints of it by Google in the past months.

But what is just unfair is Google presenting this as if they had invented
it. Apart from a quick allusion to DBpedia and Freebase, no mention of the
collective and converging efforts of so many libraries, museums,
governments, research centers, standard bodies, associations and
institutions, thousands of wikipedians, topic mappers, classifiers,
documentalists ... (apologies to those I forget, too many of them) ... who
have dedicated countless days and nights to build structured data and put
them on the Web. For those who do not know this background story, Google
will show off as the Only One able to organize and make sense of the messy
Web. I wish they were able to acknowledge at least that they are leveraging
all this work.
Neither have they built the core data, nor invented the underlying
concepts. They just bring more power and visibility.

Bernard

--
*Bernard Vatant
*