Re: Layered Data

From: Igor Popov <igor.popov.ip@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 12:04:25 +0100
Cc: public-lod community <public-lod@w3.org>
To: Leigh Dodds <leigh@ldodds.com>
Hi Leigh,

I'm working on something that might be related, although I'm primarily focused on surfacing the possibilities of data interactions on the UI level. My framework mashpoint (http://mashpoint.net/ see paper: http://events.linkeddata.org/ldow2012/papers/ldow2012-paper-12.pdf) facilitates linking data-powered apps so they can be navigated and combined in a data-oriented way by ordinary users. In your paper you define data layers as "... either a whole dataset or a useful subset". One view of an application in mashpoint its that an data-powered app is simply a rich visual representation of a portion of dataset that can be displayed and interacted with in a particular context. I think then you can see the process of identifying data layers in a dataset, as the process of people selecting portions of the dataset that will be used in the context of a particular app.

Just my 2 cents.

Best,
--Igor