Re: {Disarmed} Re: See Other

On 3/28/12 10:02 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> Even with FOAF where we got pretty substantial social graph datasets
> (livejournal, my opera etc) in public since 2004 or so, ... frankly
> very few managed to find interesting uses of that huge bulk of data.
> And not because it was in rdf/xml or because there were bnodes. It's
> much much harder to make compelling, useful apps with this stuff than
> it is to make proof of concept demos.

Lookups, Views, and Reports are eternally useful. The massive FOAF graph
is absolutely useful. What's missing is productivity oriented tools that
leverage Lookups, Views, and Reports. This is one of the reasons behind
the LOD cloud cache and the march towards DataDNS (your basic Linked
Data collective) and DataGPS (Linked Data collective + Inference) is about.

FOAF is very useful. Facebook simply accelerates the march to what I
describe above. In addition, privacy, acls etc.. are key, and WebID will
fit into all of this in a natural and constructive way, modulo and
format war style distractions :-)

We are much closer than is typically obvious IMHO.

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen