Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

On 27/03/2012 18:12, "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 3/27/12 12:35 PM, Michael Smethurst wrote:

>>> Circa. 2006-2007, with Linked Data bootstrap via the LOD project as top
>>> priority, the goal was simple: unleash Linked Data in a manner that just
>>> worked. That meant catering for:
>>>
>>> 1. frameworks and libraries that send hash URIs over the wire
>>> 2. work with all browsers, no excuses.
>>>
>>> Linked Data is now alive and in broad use (contrary to many
>>> misconceptions to the contrary), there is still a need for slash URIs.
>>> This isn't a matter of encouragement or discouragement, its a case of
>>> what works for the project goals at hand. If slash URIs don't work then
>>> use hash URIs or vice versa. Platforms that conform to Linked Data meme
>>> principles should be able to handle these scenarios.
>>>
>>> BTW - Imagine a scenario where Linked Data only worked with one style of
>>> URI, where would we be today or tomorrow, re. Linked Data? Being
>>> dexterous and unobtrusive has to be a celebrated feature rather than a
>>> point of perpetual distraction.
>> My point wasn't about hashes or slashes or any style of uri.
> Your comment was:
>
> " No sane publisher trying to handle a decent amount of traffic is gonna
> follow the dbpedia pattern of doing it in one step (conneg to 303) and
> picking up 2 server hits per request."

Yes, but I was making a point about the one step, not the slashes or the 303

> You described DBpedia method of doing things as being one to be
> discouraged. DBpedia deploys Linked Data via slash URIs, hence my
> response. Also, in the context of Linked Data slash URIs ultimately lead
> to the contentious 303 entity name / web resource address disambiguation
> heuristic.

But they don't have to lead to doing conneg and 303 in one step

>>   It was about
>> conflating 303s ((I can't give you that but) here's something that might be
>> useful) with conneg (here's the useful thing in the representation you asked
>> for).
>
> 303 isn't a conflation of anything. It's a redirection mechanism that
> can be used in different ways. Sometimes it facilitates access to
> alternative representations and sometimes it can just be used to
> facilitate indirection re. "data access by name reference" as per Linked
> Data principles.

I didn't say 303 is a conflation. I said when you conflate the 303 part with
the conneg... that's a conflation.

I don't think it's 303s job to "facilitate access to alternative
representations"; that's what conneg's for

Dbpedia does:

Thing that's not a web document > conneg + 303 > representation of a web
document

Instead of:

Thing that's not a web document > 303 > resource uri for a web document >
conneg > representation of web document

If you do the latter then all html links can point to the resource uri of
the web document so the publisher still incurs a conneg cost for each
request (which is reasonable) but doesn't incur a 303 cost for every request
(which isn't). The only place you need to refer to the uri of the thing
that's not a web document is when you want to make statements about it

If you do the former then (as per dbpedia) you end up linking to the thing
that is not a web document and picking up a 303 penalty for every request

So I'm saying that you can do slashes and 303s but in way that's more
palatable to publishers than dbpedia

I still think there are other problems with 303s:
- some people who want to publish linked data just don't have access to
configure their server to do this (which would also be a problem for any new
20x response)
- persuading your manager and your manager's manager and your manager's
manager's manager (not to mention ops!) is not easy

But this is heading off topic so apologies

Michael

http://www.bbc.co.uk/