Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

On 27 March 2012 19:54, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> On 26 Mar 2012, at 17:13, Tom Heath wrote:
> > On 26 March 2012 16:47, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:
> >> Tom,

> >> What hard data do you think would resolve (or if not resolve, at least
> move forward) the argument? Some people > are contributing their own
> experience from building systems, but perhaps that's too anecdotal? Would a
> >> structured survey be helpful? Or do you think we might be able to pick
> up trends from the webdatacommons.org > (or similar) data?
> >
> > A few things come to mind:
> >
> > 1) a rigorous assessment of how difficult people *really* find it to
> > understand distinctions such as "things vs documents about things".
> > I've heard many people claim that they've failed to explain this (or
> > similar) successfully to developers/adopters; my personal experience
> > is that everyone gets it, it's no big deal (and IRs/NIRs would
> > probably never enter into the discussion).
>
> How would we assess that though? My experience is in some way similar --
> it's easy enough to explain that you can't get a Road or a Person when you
> ask for them on the web -- but when you move on to then explaining how that
> means you need two URIs for most of the things that you really want to talk
> about, and exactly how you have to support those URIs, it starts getting
> much harder.

I'm curious as to why this is difficult to explain.  Especially since I
also have difficulties explaining the benefits of linked data.  However,
normally the road block I hit is explaining why URIs are important.

Are there perhaps similar paradigms that the majority of developers are
already already familiar with?

One that springs to mind is in java

You have a file "Hello.java"

But the file contains the actual class, "Hello", which has keys and
values.

Or perhaps most people these datys know JSON, where you have file like
"hello.json"

The file itself is not that important, but it can contain 0 or more
objects, such as
{
  key1 : value1,
  key2 : value2,