From: Dan Brickley [mailto:danbri@danbri.org]
Sent: 26 March 2012 12:17
To: Giovanni Tummarello
Cc: public-lod@w3.org
Subject: Re: Annotating IR of any relevance? (httpRange-14)

On 26 March 2012 08:51, Giovanni Tummarello <giovanni.tummarello@deri.org> wrote:
> Is annotating IRs is of *any value practical and role today* ?
>
> Anything of value and core interest to  wikipedia, imdb, bestbuy, bbc,
> geonames, rottentomatoes, lastfm, facebook, whatever. is a  NIR.
>
> We are talking people, products
>
> Everything on the LOD cloud (for what it matters) its all NIR
>
> Even pictures, comments, and text are easiy seen and BEST INTERPRETED
> as NIR
>
> they're not just the bytes they're composed of, they're the full
> record of their creation, the concept of message.
> a facebook picture is a full record of content, comments, tags,
> multiple resolutions etc.
> The mere stream OF BYTES (the IR) IS JUST A DeTAIL that if it REALLY
> needs to be annotated, ... it can. no problem, with proper attributes
> "hasResolution, hascopyright" ok i guess that refers to a IR then.

I see where you're coming from here, but will be agnostic for now on that point. Instead, I'd like to draw attention to the distressing fact that we don't even seem as a community to be clear on what is meant by IR? Is IR "the mere stream of BYTES", .. or some (slightly) higher abstraction. The OO picture of HTTP/REST I mentioned here recently, for example, has the IR be the hidden-behind-service object whose state we get authoritative samples of via HTTP messages.

Making a new http-range-14 agreement without having a common terminology doesn't fill me with hope. Quite different notions of IR are bouncing around here.

I tend to read 'IR' as something approximating 'Web-serializable networked entity'; sounds like you're equating it more directly with the content that is sent over the wire?

Dan