Re: Document Action: 'The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Status Code 308 (Permanent Redirect)' to Experimental RFC (draft-reschke-http-status-308-07.txt)

+1.  The 308 status code does fill a necessary gap without requiring a change to the nature of the 303.

Not all objections to the http-range-14 solution involve the lack of cacheability, however.  Many people are simply concerned for the extra HTTP request needed to find a resource.  Personally, I think the benefits of resource discovery far outweigh the (rapidly reducing) costs associated with the extra hop.  Our efforts should be focused on enabling discovery and clarifying what has been discovered.

Regards,
Dave