Re: The Battle for Linked Data

On 26 March 2012 20:13, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> On 3/26/12 2:16 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:
>>
>> I think this can be defused:
>>
>> "'Linked Data' is the use of the Web standards to share documents that
>> encode structured data, typically but not necessarily using a graph
>> data model."
>

> TimBL's  Linked Data meme isn't about "sharing," solely. What about "whole
> data representation" and the URI de-reference requirements?
> Ditto unambiguous URI based naming etc..

Sure, but we don't need to pack our entire shopping list into one slogan.

What's at the heart of it that gives a distinctive character? The Web,
... Web-like data models (graphs), and the pragmatic use of standards
to allow decentralised data to still be recombinable.

> I guess the problem is that "Linked Data" is quite generic when taken
> literally and like wise in the broader computer science realm discourse.

Yup, taking just the words alone, all kinds of thing could fit. We
have to find the middle ground between overly specific and pointlessly
vague. For me, that's something around the creative re-use of the
standard Web infrastructure to exchange and interlink simple factual
data expressed as graphs. Some might insist they're not just graphs,
but RDF graphs. Other that CSV and random XML is fine (not least
because it can be RDFized by consumers). But this is the territory
we're marching up and down on.

> Thus, we have to deal with the question of what moniker best applies to the
> title of TimBL's Linked Data meme [1] and the best practices that it
> espouses.  Maybe we'll end up referring to fine-grained structured data that
> adheres to said meme as *Hyperdata*. At the end of the day, that's a cleaner
> moniker anyway :-)

That's a good one too, yep.

Dan