Re: What would break? Re: httpRange-14

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> On 3/26/12 2:09 PM, Leigh Dodds wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kingsley,
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Kingsley Idehen<kidehen@openlinksw.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> Leigh,
>>>
>>> Everything we've built in the Linked Data realm leverages the findings of
>>> HttpRange-14 re. Name/Address (Reference/Access) disambiguation. Our
>>> Linked
>>> Data clients adhere to these findings. Our Linked Data servers do the
>>> same.
>>
>> By "we" I assume you mean OpenLink. Here's where I asked the original
>> question [1]. Handily Ian Davis published an example resource that
>> returns a 200 OK when you de-reference it [2].
>
> Support was done (basically reusing our old internal redirection code)
> whenever that post was made by Ian.
>

>> I just tested that in URI Burner [3] and it gave me broadly what I'd
>> expect, i.e. the resources mentioned in the resulting RDF. I didn't
>> see any visible breakage. Am I seeing fall-back behaviour?
>

> As per comment above its implemented. We have our own heuristic for handling
> self-describing resources. My concern is that what we've done isn't the norm
> i.e., I don't see others working that way, instinctively. You have to be
> over the Linked Data comprehension hump to be in a position emulate what
> we've done.

OK, I thought you might have done, so thanks for the confirmation. But
this further demonstrates that we don't necessarily need redirects.

>> Are people really testing status codes and changing subsequent
>> processing behaviour because of that? It looks like there's little or
>> no breakage in Sindice for example [3].
>>
>> Based on Tim's comments he has been doing that, are other people doing
>> the same? And if you have to ask if we're not, then who is this ruling
>> benefiting?
>
> We do the same, but we also go beyond (i.e., what you call a fall-back).

Would you care to elaborate on that? i.e: what inferences are you
deriving from the protocol interaction?

I can see that for a .txt document you are inferring that its a
foaf:Document [1].

I'm still also interested to hear from others.

[1]. http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/www.gutenberg.org/files/76/76.txt

Cheers,

L.