Re: What would break? Re: httpRange-14

On 3/26/12 1:27 PM, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> On 2012-03 -26, at 06:18, Leigh Dodds wrote:
>
>> I may be misreading you here, but I'm not against unambiguous
>> definition. My "show what is actually broken" comment (on twitter) was
>> essentially the same question as I've asked here before, and as Hugh
>> asked again recently: what applications currently rely on httprange-14
>> as it is written today. That useful so we can get a sense of what
>> would break with a change. So far there's been 2 examples I think.
> For me, the fact that you can use the URI of a document on the web
> to refer to that document is so built into the semantic web architecture for the last 12
> years that it has been implicit in everything I have coded or designed,
> haven't been aware of where I have used it and where not.
> It it is really difficult for me to measure which bits would
> The SWAP project, CWM has that built in -- the URI of the document
> something was read from is kept in the quad store as provenance
>   for every triple read in.  The same with the tabulator store.
> The tabulator offers different views of objects as a function of the classes
> the are in, and it infers things from HTTP 200s and content types.
> It would have to be re-engineered of course, something I'm prepared
> to do in the cause of progress, but I feel it had better be something which
> adds bath water without throwing out the baby.
>
> Tim
>
> PS: Missed the tweet

Leigh,

Everything we've built in the Linked Data realm leverages the findings
of HttpRange-14 re. Name/Address (Reference/Access) disambiguation. Our
Linked Data clients adhere to these findings. Our Linked Data servers do
the same.

I really hope I am misunderstanding your question due to HttpRange-14
fatigue.

I believe you understand the virtues of Name/Address (Reference/Access)
disambiguation as it applies to "data access by reference" , object
theory, structured data representation fidelity, and our collective
desire to unleash the Web's data space dimension en route to others.

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen