Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

Hi Tim,

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> wrote:
> For example, To take an arbitrary one of the trillions out there, what does
> http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfile?fk_files=2372108&pageno=11
>  identify, there being no RDF in it?
> What can I possibly do with that URI if the publisher has not explicitly
> allowed me to use it
> to refer to the online book, under your proposal?

You can do anything you want with it. You could use record statements
about your HTTP interactions, e.g. retrieval status & date. Or,
because RDF lets anyone, say anything, anywhere, you could just decide
to use that as the URI for the book and annotate it accordingly. The
obvious caveat and risk is that the publisher might subsequently
disagree with you if they do decide to publish some RDF. I can re-use
your data if I decide that risk is acceptable and we can still
usefully interact.

Even if Gutenberg.org did publish some RDF at that URI, you still have
the risk that they could change their mind at a later date.
httprange-14 doesn't help at all there. Lack of precision and
inconsistency is going to be rife whatever form the URIs or response
codes used.

Encouraging people to say what their URIs refer to is the very first
piece of best practice advice.

L.