Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

On 3/23/12 6:42 PM, Jonathan A Rees wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Jeni Tennison<jeni@jenitennison.com>  wrote:
>
>> While there are instances of linked data websites using 303 redirections, there are also many examples of people making statements about URIs (particularly using HTML link relations, RDFa, microdata, and microformats) where those statements indicate that the URI is supposed to identify a non-information resource such as a Person or Book.
> Can you provide a handful of these Doing It Wrong URIs please from
> various sites? I think it would really be helpful to have them on hand
> during discussions.
>
> Jonathan

People have been using slash URIs to ambiguously name things forever.
That's fine since those activities apply to a different Web interaction
and exploitation dimension (or system) i.e., the information space
dimension.

We have major problems when you seek to apply the name/address ambiguity
to a totally different dimension (or system) such as Linked Data.

The issue here is that we have many dimensions (systems) with specific
rules in play. If we didn't have specific rules the distinct dimensions
I refer to wouldn't exist.

The Web has Information, Data, and Knowledge space dimensions, and
possibly others to be discovered in the course of its natural evolution.
Each dimension will be endowed with its own basic set of rules.

Web 2.0 (and earlier) users and developers are dealing with the
Information Space dimension. Crafting an RDF, RDFa, Microdata resource
doesn't mean you've crafted a resource with Linked Data fidelity (i.e.,
adherence to Linked Data rules), in a majority of cases these are still
information space dimension artifacts.

The Web is the product of dexterous architecture. Breaking said
architecture delivers zilch!

Again, there are no excuses for breaking AWWW as it exists. None
whatsoever. Of course, we can collectively work on better narratives and
better products for specific user and developer profiles. Personally,
that's were we should be spending our collective energies circa. 2012.

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen