 From: Bernadette Hyland <bhyland@3roundstones.com>
To: Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>; Yury Katkov <katkov.juriy@gmail.com>
Cc: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>; public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: How to find the data I need in LD? algorithm and questions.

Hi,
Hugh - I responded earlier today to Yury, off-list.  So I would offer a different perspective, perhaps because the sun is out here today and it is Friday afternoon and the plum blossoms are blooming...

We've moved from:
* shouting (circa 2003-2006) to
* the meme of Linked Data by TimBL (2007) [1]
* proof-of-concepts (2008-2010) to
* a couple academic books, conference talks & keynotes on real world deployments involving LD/LOD (2010, 2011) to
* developers books, W3C Recommendations, published use cases/CXO guides (2012)

FWIW, I offered to fold in some of Yury's guidance to the draft Linked Data Cookbook[2] and suggested the cookbook as a possible resource for his students.

If you are open to a different viewpoint, here is what I see on the ground in 2012.  There are publishers, both in the private & public sector, who are beginning to publish data as Linked Data.  It is of course a new approach to data publishing and consumption and there are some really entrenched players, so it isn't going to happen within one or two years.  Furthermore, everyone has a "day job" and learning yet another way to publish your data doesn't sound like a career-building activity on face value ...

I contend, it will take some public successes, plus a couple of pragmatic Linked Data books for developers, some cookbooks or how-to's, and some well-formed W3C Recommendations for Linked Open Data to be pervasive ... all of which is in progress.

It will take probably 10 years before LD/LOD publishing is 'mainstream' but make no mistake, it will happen.  A Linked Data approach to publishing data (on the Web of data) is as disruptive as the Web of documents was circa 1995.

It will save organizations millions and governments billions of dollars (or their currency equivalents) in enterprise information integration.  Do I have documented ROIs in a glossy printed consulting report to back that up - no, not yet.  I believe we (as in the Linked Data ecosystem) will have this soon.   The numbers & case studies will come from big international organizations involved in issue tracking & customer care, business publishing, healthcare, logistics and defense (the non-secret-squirrel-part of defense).

Regardless whether orgs are doing LD behind the firewall or in front of it, publishing Linked Data makes good economic sense but we're in the early days.  Don't loose heart.

I see university students are learning about LD now in undergrad CS classes.  About 20 of us from the UK, Netherlands, Spain, US, India, Australia in government / academe / private sector meet weekly on the W3 Gov't Linked Data Working Group  to nut out vocabs, best practices & a cookbook for gov't publication & consumption.

FYR, data.gov recently featured a blogpost [4] by a uni student who did a mashup where he didn't know the publisher of US Gov't content, although he did work under the supervision of someone who knows a bit about RDF.

Kind regards,

Bernadette Hyland

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Linked_Data_Cookbook