From: David Booth [mailto:david@dbooth.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:17 PM
To: M. Scott Marshall
Cc: HCLS; biohackathon@googlegroups.com; linkedlifedatapracticesnote@googlegroups.com; public-lod@w3.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: HCLS IG Note on mapping and publishing life sciences RDF

On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 21:16 +0100, M. Scott Marshall wrote:
[ . . . ]
> IG Note (Draft) HCLS IG Note on mapping and publishing life sciences
> RDF [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XzdsjCfPylcyOoNtDfAgz15HwRdCD-0e0i

> xh21_U0y0/edit?hl=en_US

Nice work on this!  A couple of small editorial suggestions:

1. AFAICT the phrases "a posteriori" and "a priori" are being misused to mean "afterward" and "beforehand".  These terms actually mean:

http://www.onelook.com/?w=a+posteriori&ls=a

a posteriori: "involving reasoning from facts or particulars to general principals or from effects to causes ("A posteriori demonstration")'

http://www.onelook.com/?w=a+priori&ls=a

a priori: 'involving deductive reasoning from a general principle to a necessary effect; not supported by fact ("An a priori judgment")'

2. The intro mentions that "a query for Homo sapiens gene label "Alg2"
in Entrez Gene (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene) returns multiple results. Among them is one gene located in chromosome 5 (Entrez
ID:85365) and the other in chromosome 9 (Entrez ID:313231), each with multiple aliases".  But the results that I see show ID:85365 as the ID for the one on chromosome 9, and the other one (maybe?) has ID 10016:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene?term=Alg2[sym]%20homo%20sapiens

Thanks!

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
http://dbooth.org/

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of his employer.