Re: Fwd: Call for proposals to amend the "httpRange-14 resolution"

I find the document at
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/uddp-20120229/
to be hard to read, overly broad, unproductively pedantic and
unnecessarily entangling philosophical questions with simple matters of
protocol design.

As an alternate proposal, I have started a significantly simplified
document on the W3C wiki at
http://www.w3.org/wiki/UriDefinitionDiscoveryProtocol

Others are encouraged to contribute.  The goals are:

- to be simpler, clearer and more direct;

- to limit the scope to http (and https) URIs, because this is where the
LOD community is experiencing the problem that this specification
addresses;

- to specify this as a simple protocol between a URI owner that wishes
to provide a URI definition, and an agent that wishes to discover that
URI definition;

- to avoid placing constraints on the form or meaning of a URI
definition;

- to avoid placing constraints on an application's use of a URI
definition;

- to additionally specify a simple "implicit" URI definition that can be
used in the case where a resource is defined implicitly as being an
"information resource" (as a result of an HTTP 200 "OK" status code
being returned, as per the httpRange-14 resolution[issue-14-resolved]);

- to be consistent with the existing httpRange-14
resolution[issue-14-resolved], the existing Cool URIs for the Semantic
Web[cooluris] document and existing practice.

Thanks!
David

--
David Booth, Ph.D.