Re: best practice RDF in HTML

From: Keith Alexander <k.j.w.alexander@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:52:48 +0100
To: Sebastian Hellmann <hellmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
Cc: John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com>, public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>, semantic-web <semantic-web@w3.org>
If it should work with existing parsers, if you have to embed it in
the page, and you don't want it to be seen, either use RDFa in the
<head> or put RDFa in the body inside <div style="display:none"> (or
similar).

Is any other way of embedding RDF in HTML widely supported by RDF
parsers and tools?

Best

Keith

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Sebastian Hellmann
<hellmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
> Dear John,
> I am not quite sure I understand your intention.
> Am I supposed to embed a Microdata "island", which I then convert to RDF via
> the JSON intermediate?
> There is no official JSON  format, so embedding JSON would still be kind of
> a work around.
>
> It would be perfect, if there was a more direct solution. Including the RDF
> "island" as Turtle/N3 in the <script> part seems to be legit (Although a
> little bit unconventional).
>
> Is it possible to make an RDFa "island" somewhere? Where would I dump that?
> Within the <head> or <body>? or parallel?
> All the best,
> Sebastian
>

> On 06/12/2012 05:19 PM, John Erickson wrote:
>>
>> If I understand correctly, the problem is to embed an RDF "island" in
>> an HTML document, to be managed by a (presumably RDF clueless) CMS.
>>
>> How about following the approach described in the W3C "Microdata to
>> RDF: Transformation from HTML+Microdata to RDF" working draft
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-microdata-rdf-20120112/>
>>
>> There are a number of examples in that draft which seem compatible
>> with the problem statement, including embedded JSON (that can be
>> easily extracted and consumed as RDF)
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Gannon Dick<gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Sebastian,
>>>
>>> You are making me nostalgic for a dispute I lost by shout-down with with
>>> the
>>> developers of RDFa :o)
>>>
>>> Oops.  Mr Erickson just beat me to the punch ... the critical point is
>>> that
>>> HTML has two bowls of tag soup (HEAD, BODY) related by proximity not by
>>> authority.  It's easy to assume that the HEAD is "global" to the BODY or
>>> vice-versa.  What you really want to do is cite a bibliographic reference
>>> a set of RDF triples.
>>>
>>> You can link to that file, or if you want to get fancy, embed an XML
>>> Bibliographic Reference format like MODS from the LoC[1].  Embedding in
>>> the
>>> BODY is more polite, and reassuring if questions arise about download
>>> size.
>>>
>>> --Gannon
>>>
>>> [1] Sorry, I have not looked at this in years so there will be some
>>> syntax
>>> issues.  The idea is simple, MathML for people who do math, MODS for