Re: Linked Data Business Models?

On 7/26/12 1:30 PM, Juan Sequeda wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/26/12 10:56 AM, Juan Sequeda wrote:
>>

>>     On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Kingsley Idehen
>>     <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         On 7/26/12 6:50 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
>>
>>             Hello Pablo,
>>
>>             nobody doubts that links are useful and part of a
>>             plethora of small and big
>>             databases and APIs.
>>
>>             What I am particularly interested in is: Why should a
>>             small/medium sized
>>             player switch from
>>
>>             -using URLs of pages about things to using URIs that
>>             denote things
>>
>>             -APIs and RDBs to RDF/SPARQL/OWL
>>

>>         How about looking at it this way. You are packaging and
>>         selling data access via the Web. The big challenges are:
>>
>>         1. slicing up value units
>>         2. associating monetary values with those units
>>         3. identifying who has access to units of value, and under
>>         what terms and conditions.
>>
>>         1-3 happens in a machine readable way. This is the problem
>>         solved by WebID, WebID authentication protocols, and WebID
>>         based access control lists. As I am sure you know, the
>>         aforementioned are just application of Linked Data.
>>

>>     mmm.. what problem is this solving? How am I reducing costs and
>>     saving money with this?
>
>     Of course you are reducing costs, saving money, and accelerating
>     enterprise agility if you have control over 1-3.
>
>     If you can't control access to your data using sophisticate
>     policies that reflect your data usage domain, the resulting costs
>     will simply introduce inertia.
>
>     Remember, I did ask for specificity. You are generalizing when you
>     say: does it reduce costs or save money. In what business model
>     context? . Let's discuss a specific business model associated
>     with Linked Data.
>
>     If you want to talk about enterprise exploitation of Linked Data,
>     that's fine. If you want to talk about Data as a Service, that's
>     fine. Let's nail down what we are talking about, that's all I ask
>     of you.
>

> Let's talk about enterprise exploitation of Linked Data

Great topic!

The objective of every enterprise investment in information technology
boils down to enhancing its agility via effective management of the
following, in no particular order:

1. resource (humans and machines) acquisition and management
2. market discovery and leadership discipline preferences (innovation,
operational excellence, and customer intimacy)
3. branding and overall image
4. product / service distribution
5. supply chain (where inputs are durable)
6. production
7. others.

Challenge:

The items above are inextricably linked to enterprise data access,
integration, dissemination, and management, across disparate and
heterogeneous data sources. Each item ultimately exists in data spaces
(e.g., database management systems, spreadsheets, unstructured or
semi-structured documents) tightly or loosely bound to line-of-business
applications.

Most enterprises would like to work at an abstraction layer re.,  IT
infrastructure that closely models the its "real-world" comprised of
domain specific entities and their respective relationships. All of this
has to transcend the underlying data fragmentation arises from the
existence of numerous line-of-business applications.

Solution:

Virtualize data access, conceptually via an persistent entity oriented
layer. This layer becomes the focal point of agile data access,
integration, and management without disrupting the existing
line-of-business applications i.e., no "ripping and replacing" of
existing systems that already address lower level operational needs.

Q: What does Linked Data offer in this context?

A: Powerful mechanism for data virtualization that turns a collection of
disparate and heterogeneous data sources into a coherent, persistent,
and change sensitive mesh of entities and their relationships. For a
number of years, this has been achievable via:

1. Linked Data Views over RDBMS data sources
2. Linked Data Views over other data sources.

What do enterprises buy?

1. Data Virtualization Middleware
2. Database Management Systems
3. Identity Management Systems
4. Collaboration Systems
5. Professional Services -- training, consulting, and custom development.

My $0.02 .

Kingsley