Re: Linked Data Business Models?

On 7/26/12 10:56 AM, Juan Sequeda wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/26/12 6:50 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
>
>         Hello Pablo,
>
>         nobody doubts that links are useful and part of a plethora of
>         small and big
>         databases and APIs.
>
>         What I am particularly interested in is: Why should a
>         small/medium sized
>         player switch from
>
>         -using URLs of pages about things to using URIs that denote things
>
>         -APIs and RDBs to RDF/SPARQL/OWL
>

>     How about looking at it this way. You are packaging and selling
>     data access via the Web. The big challenges are:
>
>     1. slicing up value units
>     2. associating monetary values with those units
>     3. identifying who has access to units of value, and under what
>     terms and conditions.
>
>     1-3 happens in a machine readable way. This is the problem solved
>     by WebID, WebID authentication protocols, and WebID based access
>     control lists. As I am sure you know, the aforementioned are just
>     application of Linked Data.
>

> mmm.. what problem is this solving? How am I reducing costs and saving
> money with this?

Of course you are reducing costs, saving money, and accelerating
enterprise agility if you have control over 1-3.

If you can't control access to your data using sophisticate policies
that reflect your data usage domain, the resulting costs will simply
introduce inertia.

Remember, I did ask for specificity. You are generalizing when you say:
does it reduce costs or save money. In what business model context? .
Let's discuss a specific business model associated  with Linked Data.

If you want to talk about enterprise exploitation of Linked Data, that's
fine. If you want to talk about Data as a Service, that's fine. Let's
nail down what we are talking about, that's all I ask of you.

Kingsley