Re: Linked Data Business Models?

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 07:43:38 -0400
To: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@netestate.de>
CC: "Pablo N. Mendes" <pablomendes@gmail.com>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
On 7/26/12 6:50 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> Hello Pablo,
> nobody doubts that links are useful and part of a plethora of small and big
> databases and APIs.
> What I am particularly interested in is: Why should a small/medium sized
> player switch from
> -using URLs of pages about things to using URIs that denote things

How about looking at it this way. You are packaging and selling data
access via the Web. The big challenges are:

1. slicing up value units
2. associating monetary values with those units
3. identifying who has access to units of value, and under what terms
and conditions.

1-3 happens in a machine readable way. This is the problem solved by
WebID, WebID authentication protocols, and WebID based access control
lists. As I am sure you know, the aforementioned are just application of
Linked Data.

1. https://plus.google.com/s/webid%20acls%20idehen -- posts and
exercises showcasing utility of WebID ACLs .