Re: Is there a general "preferred" property?

I think we are probably on much the same page :-)
(Most, if not all, of my questions were actually rhetorical - sorry that was not clear.)
So you are thinking of instances as well - and of course, as instances are URIs like properties.
I of course make no assumption that skos:prefLabel is more "x:preferred" than skos:label - there are some words about it in the SKOS description, but the semantics of the word preferred are not defined, and might differ from the semantics for x:preferred.
I am quite happy to have either skos:prefLabel x:preferred skos:label or vice versa, although one way round is a bit strange to the human reader.
But I think I can use your x:preferred in the way I describe to select particular triples.
> The x:preferred approach would handle this at the ontology level, as explained above - it would capture that when you have multiple values for :a and a single value for :b, and that :b x:preferred :a, then the value for :b is the preferred/canonical value out of those specified for :a.

I thought this described it, but now I am not certain I am quite clear:
For your example:
>  :foo rdfs:label "Michael"@en, "M. Jackson"@en, "Michael Jackson"@en ;
>       skos:prefLabel "Michael Jackson"@en ;

With
>  rdfs:label x:preferred skos:prefLabel .

I would get that :a is skos:prefLabel and :b is rdfs:label by substitution in your paragraph, but :a does not have multiple values.
So maybe you mean?:
skos:prefLabel x:preferred rdfs:label
In which case the multiple :a is rdfs:label and the single :b is skos:prefLabel

Anyway, which ever way round it is, is it that the intended meaning of
> rdfs:label x:preferred skos:prefLabel
 is that the (single) object of the skos:prefLabel triple ( "Michael Jackson"@en) is in some sense preferred?
Or is the :foo skos:prefLabel  "Michael Jackson"@en triple in some sense preferred?
Or probably something else?