Re: Is there a general "preferred" property?

Hi,
I think Nathan is talking about properties of properties, not instances.

As a real example, in my Detail RBK/dotAC rendering I have (at least) the following predicates to look at for names:
(<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name> <http://www.aktors.org/ontology/portal#full-name> <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label> <http://www.rkbexplorer.com/ontologies/jisc#name> <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#prefLabel> <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#altLabel> <http://rdf.freebase.com/ns/type.object.name>)

I can either use these to gather all the names I can, or use it as an ordered list to get the one I prefer (if any) - it depends on the display I want to give.

So I interpreted Nathan as asking if there was anything that allowed me to say what the preferred order of predicate choice might be.
Do I prefer <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label> over <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#altLabel> for example (for my particular application)?
How do I represent that is what I am doing to agents asking (in RDF/OWL of course)?
And how would a data publisher tell my consumer agent what they think I should prefer?

In my case, following Nathan's email, I would have a chain of
<http://www.aktors.org/ontology/portal#full-name> x:preferred <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name> .
<http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label> x:preferred  <http://www.aktors.org/ontology/portal#full-name> .
etc.
Which would be the (meta)metadata about the service I am providing.

However, in some sense rdfs:subPropertyOf might imply this.
Were I loading the data into a store, rather than just doing pure Linked Data URI resolution, I would be able to assert the rdfs:subPropertyOf relation, which might be seen to suggest that the most specific property (is that the right terminology?) is a good one to choose.
I then have the challenge of doing a query that finds that out, of course.
I am guessing that from Nathan's meaning of  x:preferred, it would seem that
x:preferred rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:subPropertyOf .

By the way, if I only want one preferred property, I can look one of the properties up in a sameAs store such as sameAs.org to find out what the suggested canon is (and what the other predicates might be.)

Best
Hugh