Re: Is there a general "preferred" property?

 <foaf:*primaryTopic rdf*:nodeID="p1"/> *sort of* does this.

See http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_primaryTopic

There's also of course 'canonical' predicates in other areas; like
http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=139394.

and http://www.w3.org/2009/08/skos-reference/skos.html#prefLabel