Re: Wanted : PURL approval

From: Norman Gray <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:32:23 +0100
Cc: public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>
To: Pierre-Yves Vandenbussche <pierre-yves.vandenbussche@mondeca.com>

Pierre-Yves, hello.

On 2012 Jul 2, at 09:47, Pierre-Yves Vandenbussche wrote:

> While I consider PURL as a good practice for vocabulary publication, it is
> clear that this is a long way where even the bravest can be discouraged.
>
> After one week, I'm still waiting for my domains approval (After that I
> will need to wait for my PURL redirection approval) ... And therefore can
> not publish either my vocabulary or my data.
>
> So I come up with this question: is this a normal delay :) ?

Unfortunately, I think it is normal, since the approvals are granted by hand rather than automatically, and the maintenance of purl.org is done on a best-efforts basis.

Looked at from one point of view, it's unfortunate that an increasingly-important part of the web's structure (or an increasingly-visible part, at least) is maintained on a shoestring, but that's just a matter of finding the maintenance money from somewhere; from the other point of view, creating a purl domain is a fairly heavyweight commitment into the future, so one could claim that it 'ought' to be a relatively heavyweight process.

But after a week... I would ping them to enquire about the delay.  I think when I contacted them it was via <http://www.oclc.org/research/feedback/form.asp?project=PURL>

Best wishes,

Norman

--