Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] SOPA, Wikipedia, and dbpedia

On 1/17/12 11:18 AM, Bryan Burgers wrote:
>> Not if done right. The humans at the end of the value chain will know why
>> >  :-)
> OK, I think this is the crux of the issue right here. Wikipedia is a
> single product. They control the presentation. They'll make sure it's
> "done right".
Yes.

> DBPedia isn't really a single product, but rather a data source for
> many products.

We'll I am referring to the Linked Data aspect of DBpedia. Yes, DBpedia
is an umbrella for a few things, and the list is as follows:

1. Mapping scripts
2. Extractors
3. Public SPARQL endpoint
4. Linked Data Deployment to the WWW .

Items 3-4 are the subject of SOPA matter.

> All of those products can "do it right", but DBPedia
> can't "do it right" for them.

3-4 can do it right. We (OpenLink Software) oversee those items.

> How about an example. Pretend for a moment that I wrote a website to
> display the players who currently play on English Premier League
> teams. I query the data for Everton players:
> SELECT * WHERE {
>    ?teamMember a dbpedia-owl:SportsTeamMember;
>        dbpedia-owl:team<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Everton_F.C.>;
>        dbpedia-owl:squadNumber ?number;
>        dbpedia-owl:position ?position;
>        dbpedia-owl:currentMember ?player.
>
>    ?player foaf:name ?name.
> }
>
> What can DBPedia do with that query to surface the SOPA issue?

There are two entry points:

1. /sparql
2. sparql protocol.

Either route can tell you in elegant ways that those inroads are in anti
SOPA solidarity mode.

>   Will
> returning no data surface the SOPA issue?

No.

Return an error.

> Probably not. Will returning
> an error message that mentions SOPA surface the SOPA issue?

Yes, with reason why etc..

>   That
> depends on what each individual product does with the error message.

Again, I am writing with items 3-4 (above) in mind.

> As an individual product, my team website can surface the issue, via a
> blackout or banner or other means. Other products can do the same. But
> that's up to each individual product, and unfortunately there's no
> good way that DBPedia can surface the issue.

I hope you now understand why the statement above is a little too generic.

> It's the difference between Wikipedia, as a single product, and
> DBPedia, as a data source for myriad products, that affects which
> action each can take.

That's why SOPA is bad. The Internet and WWW are networks that are
intimately interwoven into our daily lives, directly or indirectly.

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen