Re: What do you get when you dereference the URI of a named graph?

On 1/4/12 11:13 AM, Frans Knibbe | Geodan wrote:
> On 2012-01-04 16:54, Yrjana Rankka wrote:

>>> Let's consider this situation:
>>>
>>> GRAPH <x>
>>> <s1> <p1> "val1";
>>> <p2> "val2";
>>> <p3> "val3".
>>>
>>> GRAPH <metadata>
>>> <x> dc:created "somedate";
>>>         dc:modified "someotherdate";
>>>         dc:creator "Zaphod Beeblebrox".
>>>
>>> A client dereferences <x>
>>>
>>> What would you expect to get?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>> Oops. This was directed towards Frans, not Kingsley ;)
>
> In that case, let me reply :-)
>
> I was not really expecting anything in particular: data, metadata, or
> both. The background of my question is that I am trying to use a quad
> store, but I do not know how it should behave in this respect. Has
> Virtuoso made a decision on the matter?

Yes, if you want the have a de-referencable URI/IRI for a Named Graph.
Make a description of said graph using its URI/IRI :-)

> I can understand the option of returning a description of the graph,
> instead of its triples. In that way a named graph would behave like a
> data set, which is another collection of triples.

Hmm.

Think of the Named Graph as just another observation subject (a
thing/entity)  with discernible attributes expressible in graph
pictorial form via triples.

> I am sure the RDF WG is fully aware of the pros and cons of all
> options and I wish them much wisdom in finding a solution for the
> problem. For me things have become clearer. I did not know that the
> issue is still in debate.

Problem is terminology overloading continues to cause us grief :-(

> Regards,
> Frans

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software