Re: PURLs don't matter, at least in the LOD world

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:08:45 -0500
To: public-lod@w3.org
On 2/17/12 2:18 PM, David Booth wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 18:48 +0000, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> [ . . . ]
>> What happens if I have http://purl.org/dbpedia/Tokyo, which is set to
>> go to http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tokyo?
>> I have (a), (b) and (c) as before.
>> Now if dbpedia.org goes Phut!, we are in exactly the same situation -
>> (b) gets lost.
> No, the idea is that the administrator for http://purl.org/dbpedia/
> updates the redirect, to point to whatever new site is hosting the
> dbpedia data, so the http://purl.org/dbpedia/Tokyo still works.

David,

But any admin that oversees a DNS server can do the same thing. What's
special about purl in this context? Remember, DBpedia URIs are live, so
the most important issues are:

1. domain ownership
2. dns admin re. ip address mapping
3. reconstitution of the linked data sets to with the DBpedia URIs resolve.

Kingsley Idehen
Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com