Re: URIs for languages

Hi all

As creator and curator of lingvoj.org, I think I can give some explanations
of such mysteries :)

Lingvoj.org URIs included quite an arbitrary set of URI for languages, gory
details of the story starting in 2007 can be found at lingvoj.org main page.
To be in line with BCP 47 and e.g., values used in xml:lang tags, the
lingvoj.org URIs are based on ISO 639-1 (2 letters) codes when available.
For Japanese the lingvoj.org URI is therefore http://www.lingvoj.org/lang/ja,
which is actually redirected to http://lexvo.org/id/iso639-3/jpn since 2010
for reasons explained at the same page.
For Ancient Greek there is no 2-letters code hence the 3-letters code "grc"
is used (either ISO 639-2 or 639-3 in this case)
Lexvo.org URIs are all based on ISO 639-3 3-letters code, which is simpler.

Now this is part of a story which started even earlier, more than ten years
ago in OASIS Published Subjects Technical Committee with URIs such as
http://psi.oasis-open.org/iso/639/#grc (BTW still in use inside Mondeca
software) Lars Marius Garshol, editor is in cc.

I think now we should forget about URIs published by pionneer projects such
as OASIS TC, lingvoj.org and lexvo.org, and stick to URIs published by
genuine authority Library of Congress which is as close to the primary
source as can be. So if you want to use a URI for Ancient Greek as defined
by ISO 639-2, please use http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/iso639-2/grc.

BTW Lars Marius, hello, what do you think? URIs at id.loc.gov are really
what we were dreaming to achieve in 2001, right?

Bernard

--
*Bernard Vatant
*

*Mondeca**          **                   *
3 cité Nollez 75018 Paris, France
www.mondeca.com
Follow us on Twitter : @mondecanews <http://twitter.com/#%21/mondecanews>