Re: Linked Data Book in Early Access Release

On 12/05/2012 03:15 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 5 December 2012 14:56, David Wood <david@3roundstones.com
> <mailto:david@3roundstones.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Dec 5, 2012, at 08:46, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
>     <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>      > On 12/5/12 7:55 AM, David Wood wrote:
>      >> On Dec 5, 2012, at 06:34, Chris Beer<chris@codex.net.au
>     <mailto:chris@codex.net.au>>  wrote:
>      >>
>      >>> ><snip>
>      >>> >
>      >>>>> >>>http://www.manning.com/dwood/  itself doesn't seam to have
>     any Linked Data
>      >>>>> >>>to consume;)
>      >>> >
>      >>> >Makes sense to me - if you know enough to look for LD
>     resources at the
>      >>> >manning.com/dwood/ <http://manning.com/dwood/> URI, you've
>     just self evaluated that you probably don't
>      >>> >need the book! :P
>      >> I agree - and have been speaking with Manning about this.
>       Unfortunately, I haven't made any progress yet.  I'll keep trying!
>      >>
>      >> Thanks for the mail.  Perhaps I can use it as proof to Manning
>     that people do want LD on their site.
>      >>
>      >> Regards,
>      >> Dave
>      >>
>      >>
>      > Dave,
>      >
>      > They have to understand that its sorta contradictory if they need
>     to be convinced of this matter :-)
>
>     Oh, I see your point and have made it myself.  Unfortunately,
>     economics seems to be dictating otherwise to them for right or wrong.
>
>     The only productive suggestion that has been made to me is to put up
>     a parallel site for the book that includes LD.  Michael Hausenblas
>     has offered the domain linkeddatadeveloper.com
>     <http://linkeddatadeveloper.com>, which was his original site for
>     the book but has fallen into disuse.  Of course, I would need to be
>     willing to pay for the site and take the time to operate it.
>
>     Would the community find that a useful thing to do?  I am willing to
>     go to the effort if I receive a good number of positive responses.
>

> In (I think the preface) to "Weaving the Web", Tim wrote something like,
> "The next one will be online, I promise"
>
> The dream of linked data has always been to be a collaborative space to
> both read and write to.
>
> If it were feasible to dogfood such an endeavour, I think the dream of
> linked data could be close to reality.
>
> I wonder if we're close enough yet for this to be practical?
>

>     Regards,
>     Dave

It is most certainly feasible to dogfood LD. The problem is in twofold:

* laziness
* obedience

My major issue is with the self-proclaimed international (semantic) web
conferences, requesting works to be submitted in PDF. Shall we talk
about hypocrisy?

If you are a student, conference chair, reviewer or whatever.. reading
this, yea, you might want to reconsider:

* obedience
* laziness

Publishers have you by the..

No? Okay. :)

It is precisely that reason I will first publish my work on my site (re:
thesis), second try to meet the guidelines of the conference.

Anything else is an excuse in my humble opinion.

</rant>

-Sarven