ADMS.SW descriptions of Debian source packages

From: Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:55:27 +0200
To: public-lod@w3.org
Hi.

I've been thinking about adding Linked Data representations for some
artefacts of the Debian Linux distribution for quite some time (being
both involved in the SemWeb efforts and a Debian project member myself).

Debian [0] is one of the main FLOSS distributions, and sometimes used as
a reference proxy to the FLOSS communities (by researchers studying
trends in FLOSS ecosystem for instance). One of its interesting
aspects is the transparency of its development process (it is a
volunteer project), but facts about its development process are usually
only available to humans or through various "proprietary" APIs.

FYI, here's the latest concrete results I've obtained : Debian's Package
Tracking System which tracks all revisions of the source packages now
produces RDF/XML representations of these, using ADMS.SW [1].

So, for instance, at http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2 (content
negociation), you'll get

<http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2>
    doap:description "Debian apache2 source packaging" ;
    doap:release ..., <http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2#apache2_2.2.22-11>, ... ;
    a admssw:SoftwareProject ;
<http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2#apache2_2.2.22-11>
    admssw:includedAsset ..., <http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2#upstreamsrc_2.2.22> ;
    dcterms:description "Debian apache2 source package version 2.2.22-11" ;
    doap:revision "2.2.22-11" ;
    a admssw:SoftwareRelease ;
<http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2#upstream>
    doap:description "The apache2 upstream project" ;
    doap:homepage "http://httpd.apache.org/" ;
    doap:name "apache2" ;
    a admssw:SoftwareProject .
<http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2#upstreamsrc_2.2.22>
    admssw:package <http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2#apache2_2.2.22.orig.tar.gz> ;
    admssw:project <http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2#upstream> ;
    dcterms:description "Upstream source release for apache2 version 2.2.22" ;
    doap:revision "2.2.22" ;
    a admssw:SoftwareRelease ;

More details in my blog post "Debian Package Tracking System now
produces RDF description of source packages" [2].

Nest steps will be interlinking with other project descriptions (DOAP,
or ADMS.SW for instance), so as to match my local
<http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2#upstream> with
<http://live.dbpedia.org/resource/Apache_2.2> for instance... but
that'll require the matching of projects, or of package names, which may
not be so easy.

Any questions, comments, ideas much welcome.

Best regards,

[0] http://live.dbpedia.org/resource/Debian
[1] http://joinup.ec.europa.eu/asset/adms_foss/description
[2] http://www-public.it-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/weblog/2012/08/29/debian-package-tracking-system-now-produces-rdf-description-of-source-packages/