Re: referencing a concept scheme as the code list of some referrer's property

Hi Thomas

I've been munching over this issue for maybe as many years as you have :)
... but somehow arrived to different conclusions.

Regarding the Geonames example you quote, the Geonames "feature classes"
and "feature codes" have been modeled as they are, as skos:ConceptScheme
and skos:Concept respectively from the very beginning, and I'm not more
keen today than back in 2006 (when geonames ontology was first released) to
use subclasses of skos:Concept instead.
Apologies for the confusing vocabulary but "feature class" and "feature
code" were named that way in Geonames data base, and when building the
geonames ontology I did want to respect the "local" vocabulary, coming from
the original NGA classification. See
http://www.geonames.org/export/codes.html for the current Geonames codes
and http://geonames.nga.mil/ggmagaz/feadesgsearchhtml.asp for the original
ones.

If you take the list of codes in the "class" "S" it's actually a finite,
arbitrary and likely to evolve, list of codes with an informal description.
If I model this stuff as a subclass of skos:Concept, and hence as either
rdfs:Class or owl:Class I could not give any logical definition of this
class, because there is none. Using a skos:ConceptScheme here, defined only
by enumeration, and not a subclass of skos:Concept, is very handy.

In conclusion it seems to me that skos:ConceptScheme has indeed a specific
niche in KOS.
OTOH I never use skos:Collection, every time I have tried, people I was
working with had all a different notion of what it should be used for, so
I'm totally confused now about it :)

Bernard

--
*Bernard Vatant
*

*Mondeca**          **                   *
3 cité Nollez 75018 Paris, France
www.mondeca.com
Follow us on Twitter : @mondecanews <http://twitter.com/#%21/mondecanews>