Re: Access Control Lists, Policies and Business Models

On 8/16/12 8:22 PM, John Erickson wrote:
> Kingsley, thanks for forwarding that post. It ranks up there with
> Daniel Jacobson's work w.r.t. the inherent value of keyed APIs...
>
> I believe that like other API providers, Twitter is merely realizing
> they can achieve better analytics over their delivery of services with
> more diligent access control. Although policies are part of the
> equation, I think it has more to do with being adaptive and reactive,
> and understanding what API users want and how they are using it.

Yes, but without these ACLs they can't build an effective business model
that scales.

> API intermediaries like Mashery, apigee, 3scale, etc are all about
> providing analytics dashboards so their clients can understand in
> detail how e.g. their data is being consumed, and by whom...THAT is
> the value of keys...

Yes.

If Linked Data is the chosen vehicle for data access and representation,
WebIDs are a natural vehicle for higher fidelity analytics without an
explicit need for intermediaries.  Basically, WebIDs offers a powerful
API Key alternative that's grounded in Web dna :-)

Kingsley