Re: Datatypes with no (cool) URI

Hi David,

Yes, one could use URL shorteners and that's probably the only sane way
to go but it's still not ideal because:

1. Both Bitly and Tinyurl come with "no guarantee of service" (and  a
lot of tracking) - Google's goo.gl is all wrapped up with their services
too - not the kind of thing public administrations will be happy about
using. Yves Lafon's http://kwz.me is a pure shortener with no tracking
of any kind but it's a one man project so, again, it won't be 'good
enough' for public sector data.

2. Neither a shortened URL nor the long form tell a human reader a lot
whereas something (non-standard I know) like urn:iso/iec:5218:2004 tells
you that it's an ISO standard that a human can look up. The ISO
catalogue URLs point to Web pages or PDFs available from those Web pages
so you still need to be a human to get the information. The danger would
be that a machine would look up the datatype URI and expect to get data
back, not ISO's paywall :-)

So, not ideal, but still the best (practical) solution?

--

Phil Archer
W3C eGovernment

http://philarcher.org