Re: Question: Authoritative URIs for Geo locations? Multi-lingual labels?

From: Andreas Harth <andreas@harth.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:57:43 +0200
To: public-lod@w3.org
CC: Juan Salas <jmsalas@gmail.com>
Scott,

On 09/08/2011 04:38 PM, M. Scott Marshall wrote:
> It seems that dbpedia is a de facto source of URIs for geographical
> place names. I would expect to find a more specialized source. I think
> that I saw one mentioned here in the last few months. Are there
> alternatives that are possible more fine-grained or designed
> specifically for geo data? With multi-lingual labels? Perhaps somebody
> has kept track of the options on a website?

we have made an RDF version of GADM [1] available at [2], and are working
on interlinking that dataset with other Linked Data sources (such as
DBpedia and GeoNames).   It's work in progress so we welcome feedback.

There's also a list with some geospatial datasets [3].

Best regards,
Andreas.

[1] http://gadm.org/
[2] http://gadm.geovocab.org/