From: adasal <adam.saltiel@gmail.com>ith regards
To: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
Cc: Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com>; "semantic-web@w3.org Web" <semantic-web@w3.org>; "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: More about Facebook Linked Data

The only question is what part of that 16 hours should be devoted
to work (production) and leisure (consumption), and what gadgets are
appropriate for use in which activity.

I do not know what this has to do with ISWC either way.
But I do think, in a very complex world, it is helpful to focus on simplifying concepts.
Both LOD and the SemanticWeb are obviously about data and information.
There are some psychological points I could make here, for instance that the thirst for data is a form of greed.
The principal point though is that there is a human consumer at the end of the chain.
A proliferation of data is not an increase in information.
Information, as consumed by a person or a group of people has to be formed into something that is not just data. Information can degenerate into data. And thrusting data on some potential consumers of that data maybe financially lucrative, but actually futile.
The internet abounds with examples of this, much of facebook and g+ fall into this category.
But, no doubt, the same might be said about the information that floods traders desks and the flood of emails endemic in most desk bound jobs.
I think that Gannon is trying to point out the obvious. Either one is consuming or producing, but gadgets, and the internet type infrastructure they depend on, rely on confusing the boundary. They rely on a deception, a sleight of hand. This is where they get their greatest traction.
People like to be deceived (there is more to this form of exploitation than I am highlighting here).
People do not like to think that there may be any penalty to be paid for that deception.
Data is not value (judgement) free because it has to be transformed into information, and that cannot be value free.
This is a responsibility that the LOD and Semantic Web communities have to be aware of.

Adam Saltiel

Hi Juan,