Re: [ontolog-forum] Deborah L. McGuinness, keynote speaker at OCAS!!!

John,

It is an interesting point about Aristotle.
The study of logic is founded in his work. But you are also pointing out
that Ontologies do not stray in complexity beyond the form of logic his
notation permits.

Here I think we are talking about 'Coming of Age' as referring to the
dissemination and acceptance of a set of techniques.
Perhaps you are thinking that dissemination would be all the greater if
people were to bear in mind that ontology (the use of logic) is historically
pervasive?

Isn't it that knowledge can be represented (to use the title from your
wonderful book) in many different logically consistent ways?
The difficulty of creating the master data record over a large disparate
data flow illustrates this. It comes after the fact of a data domain model
which itself records the situation as it is now after a process of evolution
and growth. But each stage and each segment is logical. It is just that a
better job can be done abstracting things further away from the original
language of the data domain.

Adam Saltiel