Re: Explaining the benefits of http-range14 (was Re: [HTTP-range-14] Hyperthing: Semantic Web URI Validator (303, 301, 302, 307 and hash URIs) )

On 10/21/11 3:09 AM, Leigh Dodds wrote:
[SNIP]

> What I'm trying to draw out in this particular thread is specific
> benefits the #/303 additional abstraction brings. At the moment, they
> seem pretty small in comparison to the fantastic benefits we get from
> data integrated into the web.

Data is already integrated on the Web. The issue is quality and cost of
said integration.

People using the Web as an information space already work with Data. The
problem is that said Data manifests as coarse grained data objects
(resources). Thus, people have to resort to "brute force" integration of
disparate data sources. Simple example, an in ability to Find stuff with
precision. Ditto inability to publish data object identifiers that have
a high propensity for serendipitous discovery.

How does 303 on slash URIs help?

It enables all those existing identifiers on the Web to serve as bona
fide linked data oriented identifiers. Basically, this is about the fact
that Web users do the following, will continue to do so:

1. Use location names or data source names (URLs) as actual data object
identifiers -- inherently ambiguous re. fidelity of fine grained linked data

2. Don't expect to be burdened with the mechanics of de-referencable
identifiers that acts as names/handles
-- and rightfully so.

Linked Data solution developers (client or server side) need to accept
the following:

1. There are, and will always be more slash based URIs than there ever
will be hash based URIs -- blogging, tweeting, commenting ensure that

2. Name and Address disambiguation is critical to any system that deals
with fine grained data objects -- that's how it works elsewhere and the
Web's architecture already reflects this reality .

What about not doing a 303 on slash URIs i.e., just a 200 OK?

That's an option, but it cannot take the form of a replacement for HTTP
303. This option introduces certain requirements on the part of linked
data clients that includes:

1. local disambiguation of object Name and Address.
2. A dependency on relation semantics which ultimately leads to
agreement challenges re. vocabularies -- remember, this whole effort is
supposed to be about loose and late binding of data objects to
vocabularies/schemas/ontologies.

Conclusion:

The fundamental benefit of slash URIs and 303 boils down to non
disruptive manifestation of the Web's data space dimensions. Let's put
existing global scale identifiers on the Web to good use. Technology
vendors should take on the burden of handling linked data fidelity.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen