Re: Combining Linked Data HTTP URIs and HTML5 WebSocket URIs

On 11/18/11 9:22 PM, richard.hancock@3kbo.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a couple of questions re combining Linked Data HTTP URIs and HTML5
> WebSocket URIs.
>
> There are a couple of applications that I would like to build which have a
> mix of static and dynamic data. For the dynamic data I am planning to use
> HTML5 WebSockets [1][2] which uses the ws:// and wss:// prefixes.
>
> As an example I want to report the runtime status of the servers in a
> Weblogic cluster.  Using JMX monitoring to get the actual status I could
> use
>

> ws://www.3kbo.com:9090/servers/1/status
> ws://www.3kbo.com:9090/servers/2/status
>
> to display the current status of each server in my monitoring app.
>
> I am also planning to display LinkedData[3] about each server using the URIs
>
> <http://www.3kbo.com:8080/servers/1>  and
> <http://www.3kbo.com:8080/servers/2>.
>
> It would seem logical to use owl:sameAs to combine the HTTP URIs and the
> Websocket URIs to assert that they are referring to the same individuals,
> but is that valid?

Richard,

You have to clearly distinguish resource (object / entity) Name from its
data access Address. Then you have to remember that the name choose has
to resolve to an actual resource (actual data in EAV/SPO based graph
pictorial form).

Bearing in mind the above, I can't tell which of the URIs are Names or
Addresses.

> I.e. can the following two statements be made in OWL?
>
> <http://www.3kbo.com:8080/servers/1>  owl:sameAs
> <ws://www.3kbo.com:9090/servers/1>  .
>
> <http://www.3kbo.com:8080/servers/2>  owl:sameAs
> <ws://www.3kbo.com:9090/servers/2>  .

Fine if the URIs above are Names i.e., not Addresses.

> Does the forth LinkedData[3] principal
>
> "4. Include links to other URIs. so that they can discover more things."
>
> implicitly include links to Websocket URIs ?

That's a function of using de-referencable URIs as Names. Put
differently, Names that provide indirect access to data via indirection.
HTTP URIs are a cost effective route to the aforementioned indirection.

Kingsley

> Cheers,
>
> Richard Hancock
>

> 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebSockets